Admittedly, I’m a slow sewer, but this took me about a month to make. It was totally my fault because the shirt wan’t really difficult. I used a cotton shirting from Joann fabric which was easy to sew with. It took me so long because I sewed in small sections and took days off in between and I also started some other projects. I thought the pattern was well-drafted and I graded up from the waist to the hip but that was the only major modification that I made.
I wouldn’t say this is a quick sew project due to the many parts ( ruffles, straps, buttons/buttonholes, plackets, bias binding, etc.), but it wasn’t hard. It may be frustrating for a very new beginner but an experienced beginner could do it. The directions were pretty clear and I didn’t have any trouble figuring anything out. Once I wore it out, I did find the straps a tad too long even though I sewed them shorter than the original pattern piece. If I had made it one inch shorter and 1/2 and inch closer to the center front I think the fit would be more practical.
Honestly, now that I’ve sewn it up, I realize that this isn’t even really my style ( am I the only one this happens to?). I don’t even think I’d buy a shirt like this in the store! Ha. How crazy is that? Anyway, I don’t regret making it because I learned how to make bias time and got better with buttons and buttonholes. I’ve been putting off making buttonholes again for years and have no idea why. This was my first time making bias tape and it took a few tries, but I got it ( I used this tutorial and another I can’t seem to find anymore). After tackling my hesitations with buttons, sewing more outfits with buttons on them is definitely in my future. This cotton fabric was such a welcome relief and super breathable and cool on a warm day so that was a plus. The biggest hassle was that the straps kept falling down because they were too loose. Overall, I think this was a pretty solid pattern but there’s no need for me to make it again. I really enjoyed taking my time making this shirt and I feel that the end result was a well-made garment that looks like RTW!